Back in March 1925, three Irons brothers purchased, for £350 the premises and equipment previously owned by G. Harris , a specialist in the production of water pumps. Harris was based in the small market town of Wadebridge in Cornwall and this is where the company manufactures today.
Over the years the business grew and evolved and in May 1930 was incorporated as Irons Brothers Ltd.
Irons Brothers initially traded as a foundry and general engineering works by servicing the busy Cornish Clay industry and also continuing the production of vacuum pumps, a business started by G. Harris. The Second World War saw the company involved in the production of components for the war effort, including parts for tanks, in addition to maintaining their core business.
As the Cornish clay industry waned the company diversified into new areas and markets resulting in the first keel being produced in the early 1960’s in grey iron. The 1970’s saw the expansion of keel production and the introduction of lead melting facilities to aid this expansion. Irons Brothers continued to specialise in keel production and is now one of the largest keel suppliers in Europe.
Irons Brothers is still owned and run by the family from the original site and looks forward to many more years of successful trading.
With the ability to produce castings in both lead and iron coupled to a large production capacity we are ideally placed to service the needs of the production boat builder.
Production is kept in house from pattern making, bolt production and final casting. Castings are either sand moulded or produced in chills depending on economy and casting suitability.