23 Dec Tier 4 – Staff & Travelling – Shielding
Under updated rules, if you can work from home then you must.
Clinically extremely vulnerable – updated info from UK Government.
Those who are clinically extremely vulnerable (CEVs) living in tier 4 areas in England have been advised to shield from the 20th December to the 18th January.
Full guidance can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-shielding-and-protecting-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19/guidance-on-shielding-and-protecting-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19#further-advice-at-tier-4-stay-at-home
- The guidance states that CEVs are strongly advised to work from home in tier 4 areas, and if that is not possible then they should not attend work.
- CEV employees following this guidance may be eligible for the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (furlough), which has been extended until 30 April 2021. Employers should consider whether this is the right option for their CEV employees.
- CEVs who live in tier 4 areas will be sent a letter advising them to shield, which may act as evidence that they are eligible for Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), if they are not eligible for CJRS. However, due to this guidance being re-introduced quickly over the weekend, and possible delays in the postal service over the Christmas period, some people may not receive their letter until the week after Christmas.
- We would encourage employers to support their CEV employees to stay at home while they are waiting for their letter.
- Please note that the guidance not to attend the workplace during this period also applies to any CEV employees who live outside of a tier 4 area but work inside a tier 4 area, as well as CEV employees who live inside a tier 4 area and work outside a tier 4 area. Those who live outside tier 4 areas and work inside will not receive a shielding letter in the post, but are still advised to stay at home as much possible, work from home where possible, and not to attend their workplace. If they need to access a shielding notification letter to use as evidence for SSP or ESA, they can do so online here: